People are also watching
Eyelid Surgery Sydney
Cosmetic eyelid surgery improves the appearance of the upper and lower eyelids.
In the right patient, blepharoplasty rejuvenates your appearance and makes you look more alert and well-rested. If you are bothered by the following signs of ageing, a blepharoplasty may be right for you:
- Excess skin which creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid. In some circumstances this can be severe enough to impair vision.
- Herniation of fat which appears as puffiness in the upper eyelids
- Excess skin and wrinkles around the lower eyelid and to the side of the eye
- Bags under the eyes
- Droopiness of the lower eyelids
Ask Dr Pouria Moradi
Upload a photo for a free initial assessment
Upper blepharoplasty technique
The technical aspects of an upper blepharoplasty are rather simple. A strip of excess skin and muscle is excised from the upper eyelids. Occasionally, a small amount of excess fat is also excised just from the inside edge of the upper eyelid. The challenge in upper blepharoplasty surgery comes from the pre-operative evaluation and planning. The upper eyelid is strongly influenced by the position and shape of the eyebrows. In some patients it is the brow which is the primary problem, with the eyelid being a secondary consequence of a malpositioned eyebrow. If this is the case, then a browlift may be the more appropriate procedure for you. It is the balance between these two adjacent cosmetic subunits that leads to a fresh and rejuvenated appearance.
Lower blepharoplasty technique
Just as the upper eyelid appearance is strongly influenced by the brow position, so too is the relationship of the lower eyelid influenced by the cheek subunit. This intimate relationship makes lower blepharoplasty a more technically demanding procedure.
An incision is made either directly below the eyelashes or within the inner aspect of the eyelid (transconjunctival). I use the latter approach only in younger patients who have lower eyelid fat bulging and minimal excess skin. Both approaches give excellent exposure to the muscles and septum of the lower eyelid. Depending on the anatomy, the fatty bulges are either redistributed, removed, or in the majority of cases, a combination of both techniques is used to achieve a more youthful appearance to the lower eyelid and cheek junction. The septum, which plays a key role in supporting the lower eyelid, is also tightened to mimic a more youthful lower eyelid.
How long does it take to recover from eyelid rejuvenation?
The incisions are well concealed in the skin creases of the upper and lower eyelids, with the sutures being removed about one week after your procedure.
Due to the extreme thinness of your eyelid skin, you can expect bruising and swelling for up to three weeks. You should be able to return to work after seven to 10 days.
What are the potential risks and complications of eyelid rejuvenation surgery?
All modern surgeries are generally safe, but with any surgery, there is a potential risk of complications.
I will discuss the complications and risks which are associated with your surgery in detail, including both general and specific complications associated with eyelid rejuvenation surgery, such as:
- Discomfort and pain
- Swelling and bruising which will occur in and around the eyes
- Noticeable scars on the incisions
- Watering, itchiness and dryness of the eyes
- Eyelids may have asymmetric results which may warrant additional surgery
- You may notice a temporary change in vision
- There is a possibility of exposing the cornea to injury due to the excess removal of skin
- Lower eyelids may droop; this is typically a temporary situation, but on rare occasions additional surgery may be required
Although it is extremely rare, any operation in and around the eye may cause blindness. Following the operation, the nursing staff and myself will examine your eyes and vision and make sure you are not at risk of this. Should there be any concerns, you will be given special medications and immediately taken back to the operating theatre.
How much does blepharoplasty cost?
Costs associated with an eyelid rejuvenation surgery vary between $6000-$12,000 depending on a number of factors:
- Anaesthetist's fee
- Whether you need both upper and lower eyelids operated on at the same time
- Private hospital or day surgical facility fees
- Surgical assistant's fee
- Need for other facial plastic surgical procedures, such as brow lift, facelift, neck lift or rhinoplasty.
After our consultation my staff will give you an itemised account of the total cost.
People say, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. The most liberating thing is realising you are the beholder