How long do results of a tummy tuck take?
Results from tummy tuck surgery will begin to show immediately, however for full results you will have to wait until your body fully heals after the surgery.
For full results to show, it can take up to six months or more.
What are the potential risks and complications of a tummy tuck?
Some of the potential risks of a full or partial tummy tuck procedure include:
- Infection of the wound which may require treatment with antibiotics
- Incision site may be uncomfortable and painful
- Blood clot may occur under the skin flaps and around the incision sites
- A skin graft may be required for areas of skin that do not heal
- Excessive accumulation of fluid (seroma) may occur under the incision site and may require a procedure for draining
- Incision sites may become temporarily numb, but will improve over time
- A blood transfusion may be required if there is a large loss of blood during surgery
- Short term nausea and vomiting may occur following surgery as a result of the anaesthetics used
- The tummy skin will have been tightened from above down, and the muscles from the outside in. This results in a tight feeling and can cause difficulties in bending and other movements.
- Prominent and visible scars, known as hypertrophic and keloid scars may form over a healed incision. These scars are red, thickened and raised and may be annoying, itchy and unsightly, but they do not pose a health threat.
Life threatening risks such as a blood clot are rare; however, should a blood clot occur it can move to the lungs, chest or deep veins of the legs.
How much does a tummy tuck cost?
A tummy tuck may be covered by some private health insurers. Review your policy carefully to determine what is covered.
Costs associated with a tummy tuck vary between $12,000-$20,000 depending on a number of factors such as:
- Anaesthetist's fee
- Private hospital or day surgical facility fees
- Need for post-operative garments
- Length of hospital stay
- The cover from your insurance company
- Whether you need other body contouring procedures such as labiaplasty, liposuction, thigh liftor arm lift.
- Surgical assistant's fee
After our consultation, my staff will give you an itemised account of the total cost.
I say to patients to be prepared for another operation. Even if the surgery is perfect, it's still going to loosen up.
Dr Pouria Moradi